Computer 3-D models were created for the PBS historical documentary, "Opening the Door West," of the five original settlements made on the Ohio frontier in 1788 and 89. The resulting images showed the forts and settlements as they had never been seen before.
This glassine package of six postcards is offered with the collector in mind, but they will be enjoyed by all. You can even send them in the "snail" mail!
6 card glassine pack: $2.99
For wholesale pricing on postcards, please call.
Campus Martius, the Ohio Company’s headquarters fortification in the first settlement in the NW Territory (Marietta, OH), overlooks the Muskingum River on a winter’s eve, shortly after the beginning of the Indian Wars in 1791.
Campus Martius is still under construction during the first winter of 1788-89. Private houses, individually owned by Ohio Company settlers, form the "curtain wall" of the fort.
Fort Harmar was built in 1785-86 on the west bank of the Muskingum River overlooking the confluence with the Ohio. Soldiers in the fort “protected the Indians from the settlers” by discouraging illegal squatting in the old Northwest Territory.
The Ohio Company's second settlement was Belle Prairie (today's Belpre.) It's major fort during the Indian war was Farmer's Castle, seen on the banks above the Ohio River. Captain Devoll's famous "Floating Mill" used river current to grind grain for the settlers.
Fort Frye, the Ohio Company's settlement up the Muskingum River (near today's Waterford), was rushed to completion with only three sides in the days following the Big Bottom Massacre.
Marietta, the first organized settlement in the NW Territory, was known as "Picketed Point" during the Indian Wars of 1791-95. Near the east gate stands "the red house" tavern, first frame building in the NW Territory.
© 2014-17 Shelburne Films -- Reedsville, Ohio 45772 -- All images copyrighted & all rights reserved